Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annual leave calculation

Annual leave calculation

I know there are a few HR people in this forum so thought I post this question in case some of you can give guidance.

When someone resigns from a company and serve notice until say day x, will the balance leave entitlement be calculated until day x or only until the day the resignation notice is submitted?

¿Pero qué coño? clokwerk oranje's Avatar

Re: Annual leave calculation

day x... that's how my annual leave was calculated when i left my previous workplace...

but then, other employers may calculate it differently...
    "There are no short cuts to any place worth going." Warren Buffett
    A bachelor, is a rolling stone that gathers no boss.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese.

It should be day x.

The pay can be calculated using either working days or calendar days (depending on company policy)

That's how my annual leave was calculated when I left all the companies I worked for but my wife's company HR insist that the company policy is until the day the resignation is submitted. I wrote to MOM and they also advise me that the leave is until day x.

Also, her company policy of child care leave is only one day a year.

Everything in her company is less than whatever MOM guidelines.

Reloaded Watch Count: 5 Silverelf's Avatar

Obviously the company is playing punk.

Chinese boss is it? XD
    What if the Prophecy is true?

What if tomorrow the war could be over? Isn’t that worth fighting for? Isn’t that worth dying for?

KRANK??? Ich bin nicht Krank! Ich bin Verrucht aber nicht Krank!

Company shortchanging employees, what a scoundrel.
    "To Strive to Seek, To Find and Not To Yield."my digital stuff|IM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Silverelf View Post
    Obviously the company is playing punk.

Chinese boss is it? XD
    Japanese boss but I think it's the HR manager that is shortchanging staff. Maybe her way to impress her management but I think the Japanese boss has no idea on what she is doing.

¿Pero qué coño? clokwerk oranje's Avatar

Child care leave is not a company policy... the 2 days child care leave is entitled under the Employment Act, provided your wife is covered under it...

with regards to the annual leave computation, with such HR practice in her company, pretty much says they're out to screw their employees over...

if it was me, i wouldn't fret too much over it cos there's always the sick leave entitlement for me to clear...
    "There are no short cuts to any place worth going." Warren Buffett
    A bachelor, is a rolling stone that gathers no boss.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese.

Oh, you mean the child care policy is for people within certain salary range?

Yup, you are right about the sick leave entitlement. Lose some, gain some, eh?

I suppose MOM are just guidelines and not written rule/law right? So even if the company shortchanges they are not really in the wrong just that unfortunate for the employee. These days work competitive, nobody is indispensable.
    "To Strive to Seek, To Find and Not To Yield."my digital stuff|IM me!

yah man...if HR/company wants to play punk, u also play punk....
    try ask ur wife to "clear" medical leave....

skali the company says after submitting resignation, not entitled to MC any more....hahaha

I think in larger company, there are more structured and do not want to be branded unfair to employees. For smaller companies that might have one HR running the show, it's more like the individual opinion that counts and make up those rules as the go along.

You need to check with the appropriate government authority to see if there are any minimum standards imposed by legislation - and then use the various means that legislation provides (eg., in NZ we have an employment tribunal, before which you can lay a personal grievance claim against your employer if they refuse to honour their legal obligations) to get the minimum you are leaglly entitled to.

To accept less puts you out of pocket, perpetuates the problem of bad employers and makes SG look more like a 3rd world country where anything goes if you've got the contacts to get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Choon_Lye View Post
    I know there are a few HR people in this forum so thought I post this question in case some of you can give guidance.

When someone resigns from a company and serve notice until say day x, will the balance leave entitlement be calculated until day x or only until the day the resignation notice is submitted?
    It depends how the company credits leave.

E.g. If your entitlement is 12days per year (i.e. 1 day/mth) and your company credits the leave to you every end of month, and you tender your resignation on 15 Aug by serving one month notice. Your company would rightfully credit your entitlement till 31Aug. You will not receive the 0.5AL, although your last day is on 15Sep.
    Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sanders View Post
    You need to check with the appropriate government authority to see if there are any minimum standards imposed by legislation - and then use the various means that legislation provides (eg., in NZ we have an employment tribunal, before which you can lay a personal grievance claim against your employer if they refuse to honour their legal obligations) to get the minimum you are leaglly entitled to.

To accept less puts you out of pocket, perpetuates the problem of bad employers and makes SG look more like a 3rd world country where anything goes if you've got the contacts to get away with it.
    Was chatting with a friend from NZ who is now the HR VP in MNC here. She has worked in AU before coming here. According to her, in AU & NZ, it's HR and employee negotiating with hiring manager but over here, it's employee and hiring manager negotiating with HR. HR here is more pro-company. Heard the same from a few Aussie mates.